Thursday, July 19, 2012


“I thank my God every time I remember you…”  Philippians 1:3

 Lately, my memory has revisited my Grandpa Keith’s woodshop on the upper flat in Westbrook Maine. I have also returned to my Grandpa Ray’s workbench in the basement of their home on North Avenue in Hartland Wisconsin.  Oh, all those trays and drawers filled with moments of exploration.  I can smell the cedar wood shavings on the porch, the wild onions and marigolds in my Grandma’s backyard.   I notice a burning barrel on the corner of Skyline and Williams drive and picture my Grandpa in his green hat burning paper and leaves in the back yard.   While biking out at the State Park I watch kids jumping out of their boat into Lake Kegonsa and remember all the times swimming in Pewaukee or Okauchee Lakes while boating with my Grandparents and their friends.  All of these memories are pouring out as I prepare to be a Grandfather.  Pondering grandparenthood has opened a floodgate of thanksgiving for the love received from those key people in my life….

Grandma Euna frequently mentioned God’s blessings and Grandpa Keith taught me the importance of ringing the bells, ushering people into worship with humor and quality hospitality.  Grandpa Ray taught me the gift of kindness and gentleness to all people; while Grandma Myrtle taught me the gif of a devotional life.  My Great-grandpa Hans Peter taught me a love for creation and flowers and sometimes I think of him when caring for all the plants around our home.  My Great-grandma Annie Winther who I tenderly called “Nana” was the matriarch of the family and she taught me how important it is to pass on the gift of faith to the next generations to come.  

Oh, yes these memories are triggered by working through a grandparent book for our first granddaughter and the anticipation of the memories we will create with her.  I was blessed by generations of people who loved me and passed on the gift of faith.   I pray that I may model the treasures I’ve received.   In other words I want to be a grandpa that leaves a memory of love and faith to my grandchildren. 

The Apostle Paul wrote a note of thanksgiving and encouragement to Timothy and said:

“I am grateful to God- whom I worship with a clear conscience as my ancestors did – when I remember you constantly in my prayers day and night.  Recalling your tears, I long to see you so that I may be filled with joy.  I am reminded of your sincere faith a faith that first lived in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunia and now I am sure, lives in you…” – 2 Timothy 1:3-5

It has been a time of reminiscence and thanksgiving for those wonderful grandparents that I miss dearly! 

O Lord may we create a memory of faith for those precious children and grandchildren you place in our lives! 

No comments:

Post a Comment